Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcome 2012!

Well 2011 is over and it is the start of a brand New Year.

I have not posted a blog for over 3 months due to various reasons and due to having a lot going on in my life but one of my goals in 2012 is to blog on a regular basis.

Please note that the next part of my blog may be upsetting for some readers, especially my family.

On 28th October 2011 my Nanna's partner, John, passed away after a six month battle with Cancer.  John wanted to die at home so he was nursed by my Mum and my Nanna for approx. 9 days and passed away peacefully with Nanna, Mum, my Sister and I all by his side.

The days that Mum and Nanna were nursing John were extremely hard for them as there were several complications for them to deal with.  Jock and Fiona also needed to help out with caring for John at times to provide some much needed relief to Mum and Nanna.  I found these days so very hard to deal with as being 600kms away from everyone makes you feel so very useless and helpless.  I was due to fly to Perth at the end of October and I did not expect John to be alive when I arrived but he was. On the first night I stayed at Fiona's house and the next day she took me up to Nanna's house.  Within one hour of us being there, John had died.  Even though I knew John was dying, I didn't expect it to happen so suddenly....I know this sounds really stupid and even as I am typing it, I know how stupid it sounds but I really didn't expect it to happen when I was there. 

My Nanna knew the time was very near so she tried to protect all of us and Fiona also told me that John was close to passing so she told me to go outside if I wanted to but on my way outside I passed John in his bed and something made me stop.  I knew I had two options, I could go outside and wait, or I could be brave and comfort someone in their final moments.  I chose to stay and I held John's hand as he took his final breath.  Standing with my Sister, Mother and Grandmother as someone we loved passed away was a moment in time that will be forever etched in my memory. 

                    *                       *                     *                    *                    *

2012

I love the start of a New Year as it is a great time to reflect and focus on what is important in your life.

Like many people I have a few resolutions and one of the things I am wanting to do this year in conjunction with my scrappy friends Kristy, Jenny, Sharyn (and anyone else we can rope in) is "Project 366" which is based on a concept that has been around the scrapping world for quite a while now.  The idea is to take a photo of your life every day for a year and then scrap the photos.  I very rarely scrap any photos of myself so with this project I will have no choice but to do so.

I have also resigned from my job and am looking forward to having lots of "me time" to do the things I enjoy most in life like spending time with my family and friends, scrapping, looking after my wonderful husband and being a "Domestic Goddess!".

Take care.

Love Nic xx

No comments:

Post a Comment